Thursday, June 24, 2010

Memorial Day Baby


Joaquin Ashton Gonzalez

On May 25Th I had my Weekly check up with my Doctor. I was only 38 weeks at that time, and feeling ready to pop. My Doc said that I was already 80% effaced and that I wasn't even dilated. However, he did say that my water could break before my next check up with him the following Tuesday.
On May 31 at 5:00 AM I was heavily sleeping, and having a bizarre dream. I dreamt that I was in this foreign country and I was 9 months pregnant with Joaquin. I don't remember who was in the dream with me. Although, I do remember I was riding on a crowded bus that had no windows. It was completely open so all the debris from the dirt road was blinding my eyesight. All of a sudden, I saw a mass figure standing in a distance. As we got close, the bus driver hauled to a stop. I starred at this estranged man, that was standing in the middle of the road. He made my stomach turn. What happened next was a blur. I just remember hearing this loud buzzing noise in my head, and the sound of women screaming. The bus driver swerved off. I looked down to see that I was bleeding uncontrollably. I had been shot in the stomach. At that point, all I cared about was my baby's life. I was hysterical thinking only the worst. I blacked out and woke up in a hospital connected to all these wires. Everyone around me was frantic, I soon realized I could only hear one heart beat, which was mine. That's when I alarmingly woke up from my dream, and felt a little trickle down my leg...
I thought I had peed the bed ha ha. I didn't think much of it because I had to pee like 4 times in the middle of the night anyways. I was half asleep waddling to the bathroom thinking I had to pee some more. As I was on the toilet, I was still amazed by my dream at how real it felt. I went back to the bedroom to change my clothes because I "peed" my pants ha ha. Then I felt more trickle down my leg. I thought "Am I peeing again?" So I waddled back to the toilet. After I did my thing, I stood up to find a puddle underneath me. I immediately knew my water had broke! I proceeded to wake Mando up to let him know what had just happened. We were a little confused because I wasn't feeling any contractions. I called my midwife right away and she told me I needed to go to the hospital. We both were surprisingly calm and super excited. As Mando packed up last minute things for the hospital, I jumped in the shower to freshen up. We were all packed and ready to go. I woke up my sister Shandra who was in town for the birth. She was so pumped and couldn't wait for baby to come. I told her to contact the family to let them know I was going to the hospital. Meanwhile my mom had been sick and she herself was in the hospital. I was nervous because I didn't know if she would make it there for the birth.
We got to Hoag Hospital, and my clothes were soaked because water kept on dripping out. For that purpose I had brought a towel that I kept in between my legs ha ha. We got checked in and settled into our room. The room was so nice and big, and we had an ocean view! About an hour after we got there. I was all hooked up to everything. It took three tries to get the IV in, but on the fourth try it was a success! The nurse said that I was the most difficult patient she had ever had because my veins weren't cooperating. I was only dilated to 1 at that time, so I had a long way to go. The nurse listened to the fetal heart rate and it was normal, soon after it started slowing down to where it became a concern. The nurse was freaking out which scared both Mando and I. She pushed a button and said "Just to let you know a bunch of people are going to come in the room right now." She put an oxygen mask on me, and then about 5 nurses and a doctor came rushing in. They checked inside me to see what was going on with the baby. She said the cord was wrapped around his neck. I thought I was going to have an emergency Cesarean. It took awhile but she was able to release the cord around his neck, and his heart rate went back to normal. What a great blessing! We were so thankful that everything was alright. Not too long after the nurse gave me Pitocin to speed up my labor. That's when I started feeling major contractions. About two hours later, I was only dilated to a three. At that point the nurse offered me an epidural. Of course I couldn't pass that up! I was expecting it to be painful, but it was an easy breeze. I was feeling very relaxed, and felt ready for visitors. I was pleased to find out that my mom checked out of the hospital to come see me. I guess she was hysterical and pleaded with her doctor to let her out early, so she could make it in time for the birth. My parents, Mando's parents, Chelcie, Bronson, Shandra and Tristan were all there to keep us company. It was fun chatting with everyone while we waited for baby Joaquin to come.
About every hour I dilated to another centimeter. At 6:00 the nurse came in to check me and I was already dilated to a ten! She said "Its time to start pushing!" I was so excited and nervous at the same time! I had originally told my sisters they could be in the room with me. But after I saw the spot light that would be facing directly where Joaquin's head would be coming out, I immediately got stage fright and told them I just wanted Mando and my mom in the room. At 6:15 pm I started pushing. It felt so natural and so easy. Halfway through Mando had to sit down and take a breather because he didn't expect to see my doctor perform an episiotomy on me. My mom was amazed at how quiet I was. I guess I didn't make a sound the whole time I was pushing. At 6:37 pm Joaquin had arrived! Weighing in at 7 pounds 11 ounces and 20 inches long. We were blessed with a beautiful healthy baby boy. We fell in love with him at first sight!

Here are some pictures from the hospital. Shandra didn't get a chance to get a picture with him because her little Tristan got sick while I was in labor. Poor thing.
Our little family

skin to skin
Nama
papa
Auntie Chelcie
Uncle Bronson
Tita and Tito
Tia Andrea came to visit the next day

Right before we left the hospital
On our way home from the hospital

2 comments:

  1. I am still amazed by your birth experience! Joaquin is so cute. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is precious! I remember that day so clearly. It was all so exciting. Tristan was so excited, he was barfing in the waiting room! Poor little guy. I'm glad you recorded your birth story because it will be fun to go back and read it. Please PLEASE share more pictures of your new family on your blog lady.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete